Monday 8 June 2009

The Beauty in Ugly

The other day I was having a conversation with my friend (who shall remain nameless) who was saying that she didn't feel particularly attractive. Now this isn't to say she's ugly (she definitely isn't) but it made me think about our perspective on beauty. We tend to think about beauty on the surface of things and not beauty that goes deep within a person. That's what real beauty is, the beauty in ugly (although there can be beauty in beauty on rare occasions). That aside what about the ugly in beauty? The people who we hold to be the most beautiful people in the world can just turn out to be ugly on the inside.

And what do I mean by inner beauty and inner ugly? I mean that it's what a person does and their character that makes them truly beautiful (or truly ugly depending which) not their outer appearance. So why do so many people judge simply people by their outer selves? Why? Because people are people. They think without their minds or hearts but with their eyes, only liking what they see if they think it pleasing to the eye. But if we saw with our minds and our hearts I think the world would not be a pretty place. I think that's why we only choose to see what is beautiful. It's because we don't want to see people for who they really are on the inside but prefer that outer beauty. Myself? I prefer the inner kind. But that isn't true for everyone and even I sometimes see people only for their outer beauty.

So yet another post talking about whatever random topic that comes into my head. I might post something that's happening to me. Eventually. Until then it's these random posts which kind of have a point to them. Then again where's the fun if my posts aren't random?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what an original theme. This has never been done before. You are a pioneer of philosophy. Fuck Plato.

    [b]"So why do so many people judge simply people by their outer selves? Why?" [/b]

    WHY NICK WHY????

    [b]"Because people are people." [/b]

    Your wisdom continues to astound me.

    [b]"If we saw with our minds and our hearts I think the world would not be a pretty place."[/b]

    I too agree that a world of darkness would be better for everyone. But I have a fear Nick.
    A FEAR OF THE DARK!!!!

    And answer me this, how would I read your blog? I don't know braille? Tell me how long until the darkness envelopes us. Do I have time?

    [b]"I think that's why we only choose to see what is beautiful. It's because we don't want to see people for who they really are on the inside but prefer that outer beauty. Myself?"[/b]

    From my experience, people with this view, tend to be cursed with outer ugliness. I myself find I prefer to look at attractive people. I am weak Nick, I must be saved. (But come on - fat people?)

    [b]"I prefer the inner kind. But ... even I sometimes see people only for their outer beauty." [/b]

    I find it hard to believe that you, Nicholas Michael Alston Fiddian, have any flaws. Your attempt to make us lowly people feel better (a true statement of your inner beauty) is noble but we are beyond help.

    I will stand by your side, and together, we shall purge the Earth.

    ReplyDelete